Jan 16, 2008

who knew that 34 degrees was bike riding weather?

i have this beautiful, "old school" bike, without gears or hand brakes, named Polly. David bought her for me from a sidewalk sale on Valencia (my favoritest street in the whole world). she's blue with a little bell that i can ring when i want to warn people that i'm about to hit them. i adore my bike. for two months (except for one, very strange weekend when the temp rose to a crazy 60 degrees) i have not been able to ride my bike. she's been sitting cold and rusting on the back porch. but, today, since David had some training to do at his new art teaching job, i rode my bike home from work. i was wearing thermals under my warmest jeans, a long sleeve shirt, my strawberry scarf, hoodie, my oklahoma coat, mittens, and my little penguin beanie. it's a four mile ride. at first, i was a little chilly. but by the time i reached home, i was actually warm. maybe i'll attempt this again. boy, living in san francisco really made me into a weather-wimp.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

I think SF turns most people who live here into a weather wimp. I often am out in my scarf and knit cap when people would be wearing shorts in Chicago...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all your writing, Gwen! The e-mail advertising your new posts to all your fans was very helpful, and I'm all caught up now. Alas, I shall be the biggest weather wimp of all after this year in Cameroon...